Thursday, September 8, 2011

Farmhouse Chic???

I love the look of distressed furniture. I love all styles and variations of it. So much so that I wanted to attempt it. I am pleasantly pleased with my first completed project but know that I have quite a bit of learning ahead of me. I am looking forward to learning more as I go so I can perfect my new hobby!

Before (not the best picture but it works for this purpose)



The top of the dresser had a large and deep scratch going across the top so it needed quite a bit of sanding and wood filler. After repeated sanding I was ready to prime it. I painted a few layers of primer with light sanding in between each layer. (Can you see why this lovely piece took me so long?)


Drawers out and primed



After priming I had a lovely time scratching up and denting al my hard work. I used a flat paint instead of high gloss like I have used for the other pieces I have done so far. Between each coat of paint I sanded just like with the primer although this time I used a coarse sheet of paper as opposed to the fine grit. Applied a couple coats of Poly along with a little bit of gold sheen to give it some shine and it was done!

Once the body was complete I painted the legs chocolate brown and reattached them.


Last thing to do was put the pulls back on! Its now on display in our front room of the showroom and it looks so pretty all pulled together with lamps and art!



No comments:

Post a Comment