Tuesday, June 28, 2011

just great reveal

It's finally done! It only took two weeks (or three?) and I may be covered in yellow oil based paint for the next year but it's finished and I love it! For my first true project that I did on my own I am impressed. I kind of want to keep it for myself since I am liking it so much! So, since I know each of you (seriously - can I get some more official followers other than family???) have been waiting anxiously for this project to be unveiled - wait no longer. I took TONS of pictures so you could see each step of the process. Forgive the graininess - I used my iphone for all the pictures instead of the camera...which, is probably a good idea since I now have a very cool yellow and black phone.
Here is the picture of the chair how we got it...boring!

After removing the cushion I sprayed the chair with some Kilz Primer
which was later sanded down to make the paint go on smooth as buttah.
As you can see I was multitasking with spray painting the wicker table. After the chair was primed and sanded I started on the yellow painting. I started with a small roller and quickly realized I hated the roller and changed to a small paint brush. The roller splattered paint back on me with each roll. Plus, using the brush allowed me to use my techniques I learned from the movie Money Pit "Up and Down, Up and Down. Strong Strokes! Paint. Don't tickle".

(Can you see why I used my phone to capture the pictures instead of the new camera...and, why The Manager gave me extra drop cloths?)

I let the chair dry for about a week. Enough time for it to dry completely, get the paint off me (before the second coat), heal from all the mosquito bites (I hate those pesks!) and I also just got busy (real reason). After it was completely dry I rubbed it with a steel wool thingie that I swear was a brillo pad but was told it wasn't. I was informed I was smoothing it out even more. Sorry, I didn't capture that moment on camera. It took all of two seconds to do. After the paint was complete I went to work on recovering the cushion. We had an extra piece of this great white fabric with black velvet detail that was the perfect size! Hooray! I essentially wrapped the chair like a gift. Making sure it was pulled extra tight. Was also told not to skimp on the staples...I do as I am told as evidenced below.


All wrapped up and ready to put back on the chair! Almost done!!!



And, now what it looks like all complete back at the showroom.






I would love to see this chair paired with a fabulous white lacquered desk or glass table. We have a great glass and silver architects table at the showroom that I may put it with to snap a picture for Facebook. After seeing how much I love the yellow I am considering painting my dining room chairs the same color...Don't worry though - not everything is going to be these bright colors. We are going to tone down some of the pieces as well. I do have to say though - just as I was all finished with this project I saw on one of my favorite new blogs (new to me, since I am new to the blogging world!) a post on painted furniture. (http://demystifyingdesign.com/at-home-project-painted-furniture/ - if you want to check it out) I asked The Boss last night if I could stencil on one of the tables...still waiting on that response.

Hope you like the chair! And, if you like it so much you want to buy it let us know! :) You may have to wrestle it out of my grip first....

No comments:

Post a Comment